14 October 2010

Artist Interview :: StormieAndMel

001. Tell me about yourself: What’s your name? Where do you live? Do you have a family or any pets? What is unique or special about you? Hi! My name is Melissa Martinez. I live in Philadelphia but am originally from NYC. I currently live with my boyfriend Joe and cat Stormie. I love creating things and you'll seldom find me not tackling or brainstorming about some project or other.

002. Tell me what you create: What type of art do you do? How did you get into this type? How long have you been crafting? Where do you
get your inspiration? What makes your art stand out from others? Is this your full-time job or just a hobby? I do mostly illustration which is then digitally colored. I recently got into this type of pop art having previously done only paintings in watercolor, oils or drawings in colored pencil. I get my inspiration from everyday life. Nature, food, cool people, my cat all inspire me. I think my art stands out from others because it is bold and striking. It is also rather humorous at times. I'm still a kid at heart and I think that comes out in the pieces I create. Fornow the art I have listed on "Stormie and Mel" is a hobby however I also have a full-time crafting job in addition to it.


003. Tell me about your handmade art business: What is your shop’s name? How did your business start? My shop's name is "Stormie and Mel." I started it at the beginning of this month because I thought it would be fun to display and sell my artwork online.

004. Tell me where I can find your art: What sites do you sell your product from? Do you write a blog or run a website? Can your product be found in any brick and mortar stores, markets, or bazaars? I have a shop on Etsy. I also have a blog, "A Day in the Life of Stormie and Mel". I don't currently have any work in stores but hopefully that will change soon.


005. Tell me about your support: Are you a member of a team or guild? Do your friends or family help you? Or do you work alone? My friends, family, boyfriend and cat definitely inspire me but I actually work on all my pieces alone. In my other crafting business I owe a great deal of thanks to my wonderful boyfriend who helps me ship packages as well as provide me with the emotional support to keep me going.

006. Tell me anything else: What else would you like people to know? Any advice you’d like to offer other sellers? I am very excited to announce that I will be screen printing my artwork and designs onto T-shirts in August. I would just like to remind sellers to keep going and to never stop evolving and perfecting their shops and marketing techniques. There will be slow times followed by hectic periods so don't get discouraged. Keep your eye on the prize and keep on creating.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, that concludes this great interview with Melissa of StormieAndMel. If you like what you see, please leave a love note (aka a comment)! Interested in getting featured like this artist? Click here.

[♥] Margaret

0 Love Notes:

Post a Comment